EIFL is inviting African public librarians under the age of 35 to apply to take part in an initiative that seeks to support emerging public library innovators in Africa by exposing them to inspiring public libraries in Asia and Africa.
By connecting young African public library innovators with their peers outside Africa, especially those from other developing and transition economy countries, EIFL aims to expand the professional horizons of African public librarians, to introduce them to new ideas, and to help them see their own work and achievements in a new and different light.
What will successful IYALI applicants experience and learn?
Successful applicants will have the opportunity to:
- Attend the Young African Library Innovators workshop in Indonesia, (location and venue to be confirmed). The programme includes unconference discussions and visits to innovative public libraries. It takes place from 21-24 August 2018;
- Take part in the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) World Library and Information Congress (WLIC) 2018 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, and connect with IFLA leaders, programme associates and delegates from IFLA member libraries (26 - 30 August 2018);
- Participate in a competition to win a scholarship to attend and share experiences at the African Library and Information Associations and Institutions (AfLIA) conference in 2019.
Are you eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Work at a public or community library in Africa (see the list of eligible countries);
- Be up to 35 years old and have a minimum of three years’ work experience in a public (or community) library (or libraries);
- Have practical experience in new library service development and / or community outreach initiatives;
- Have a clear vision of how your library could develop in order to meet community needs;
- Have sufficient English language skills to take part fully in international professional activities;
- Have the support of your library management and / or local authority for your participation in IYALI (confirmed by signature at the end of your application form);
- Commit to stay working in the public (or community) library sector in your country for at least two years after participation in IYALI.
Preference will be given to applicants who -
- Have professional Library and Information Science (LIS) education and qualifications or are engaged in professional LIS studies (where applicable);
- Have a recommendation from a national library association or library support organizations active in Africa, for example, Book Aid International, Libraries without Borders, IREX, Worldreader, or any other/s.
What will participation cost?
EIFL will cover all travel costs related to participation in IYALI, including visa fees, flights, travel and medical insurance, accommodation and meals, and all IYALI programme costs.
EIFL will NOT compensate libraries for employment costs during participants’ time-away.
When is the deadline?
The deadline for receipt of applications is 18:00 EET (Eastern European Time) on 9 February 2018.
How to apply
You must apply through the EIFL Electronic Submission System.
All applications must be submitted by 18:00 EET (Eastern European Time) on 9 February 2018.
In order to submit the application, follow these steps:
1. Fill in the downloaded application form.
2. Print and sign the last page of the form, and obtain endorsement by signature from your library management / local authority. Scan the form (make a digital copy).
3. Register to access the EIFL online submission system ("Create new account").
4. Create a new submission ("Create new" in the top menu, which will appear once you have created an account), fill in the required details and upload the application form and a separate signed page.
5. Upload any further supporting documentation, e.g. recommendation from national library association or library support organisation active in Africa.
6. Submit your application.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
IYALI is funded by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.