Call for applications
Next Library 2017 and the EIFL Public Library Innovation Programme (EIFL-PLIP) take pleasure offering six scholarships for public and community librarians from developing and transition economy countries to attend the 2017 Next Library International Festival in Denmark.
The Next Library® Festival brings together forward-thinking library professionals, innovators and decision-makers from around the world – people who are pushing boundaries and making changes to support learning in the 21st century.
The themes for Next Library 2017 will be:
RETHINK: Literacy/The Learning Library/Emerging Trends/Community Engagement and Democracy/Strategic Partnerships/Design Thinking/Play
The theme of Next Library® 2017 is RETHINK. The programme will be shaped collaboratively, by participants, organizers, and partners. It will include co-learning and co-creative meetings, interactive sessions, great keynote speakers, social events and site visits to the newest and most innovative libraries, cultural institutions and technology innovators in Denmark.
The Festival takes place from 11 – 14 June 2017 in Dokk1 – the award-winning public library building in Aarhus, Denmark.
Successful candidates will be awarded scholarships covering travel to and from Aarhus, Denmark, local transportation and accommodation, the conference fee, meals, and visa costs. Any additional expenses must be covered by the candidates themselves.
Scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis. Eligible applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Work in a public or community library for at least three years, but no more than ten years.
- Live and work in a developing or transition economy country (click here to check the full list of eligible countries).
- Have sufficient English language skills to participate fully in conference activities.
- Be willing to contribute to the Next Library programme either by presenting an innovative library programme they offer to the community, or by teaming up with the other scholarship recipients to lead a group session.
- Commit to sharing Next Library 2017 experience with fellow librarians in their home countries.
- Provide written endorsement from public / community library leadership.
We expect the successful candidates to engage and actively participate in the Next Library 2017 community online before the festival; to share their innovative work practices, to engage in discussions and networking during the event, as well as to share online their insights and learnings via social media. After the Next Library 2017 Festival we will ask each candidate to send a short report about experiences at the event and actions taken to share with the others. Information from the reports will be published online by EIFL, as a blog, or contribution to a blog.
Submission deadline: 7 November, 2016 (the electronic submission system will be closed at 6 pm EET)
We will only accept applications that are submitted through the EIFL online submission system.
An e-mail help desk will be available during the period the Call for applications is open. Please feel free to contact us at plip @ eifl.net. The language of communication is English.
Download the Scholarship Application form here!
In order to submit the application, follow these steps:
1. Fill in downloaded application form.
2. Print, sign and scan the last page of the form.
3. Register to access the EIFL online submission system ("Create new account").
4. Create a new submission ("Create new" in the top menu, which will appear once you have created a user account), fill in the required details and upload the application form and a separate signed page.
5. Submit your application.
Next Library 2017 is organized by Aarhus Public Libraries in co-operation with conference partners and sponsors: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, EIFL, the Nordic Halmstad Conference Group and Aarhus 2017 European Capital of Culture.
Next Library 2017 gratefully acknowledges grant funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.